Makes 9 - 12 tacos
2 Stryker Farm Grass - Fed Beef Short Ribs
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup mirin
1/4 cup sesame oil
6 cloves garlic
½ a small onion, chopped
A spoonful of a orange ginger marmalade
3 cups Napa cabbage, chopped
1 cup daikon, diced into matchsticks
1 cup bean sprouts
6 scallions, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
1 lime, juiced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon mirin
1 tablespoon sriracha or chili pepper sauce
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Corn tortillas for assembly
Short ribs are best used for quick high heat, or in this case, a lengthy braise. The meat literally falls of the bone! The marinade is sweet, spicy and sour. Topped with crunchy slaw, each bite is everything you want in a taco.
- Wrap a baking sheet in tin foil and turn on the broiler to high.
- Rub short ribs with olive oil then liberally douse them with salt and pepper all sides. Place under the broiler and allow them to get a brown crust for about 2 minutes on both sides. Remove baking sheet and let the oven to preheat to 350°F.
- Place all the marinade ingredients into a food processor and blitz into a blended sauce. Transfer both the marinade and the ribs to a dutch oven, covered with a lid.
- When the oven is up to temperature cook until short ribs are tender, 2–2½ hours.
- Prepare the slaw in the down time: Place Napa cabbage, daikon, sprouts, scallions and cilantro together in a medium to large bowl. In another bowl, whisk together lime juice, soy sauce, mirin and sriracha. Slowly whisk in olive oil to emulsify. Pour dressing over vegetables and toss to coat. Store covered in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Check on short ribs after two hours. They’ll be ready when the meat is tender to the touch and literally falling off the bone. When they’re ready, slide the meat off the bone and chop into pieces.
- In a grill pan, heat up the corn tortillas. Place corn tortillas on the grill. Flip after 45 seconds, when some char marks appear. Grill for another 45 seconds and remove.
- Assembly required! Put the tacos together, tortilla, short ribs, slaw and a good dose of sriracha and lime if it suits you.